Logo

353 Throw out bearing

B

Brad Wadlow

"I run a 3-53 detroit on a dri

"I run a 3-53 detroit on a drilling rig. It has a clutch on it which is either engaged or disengaged. If it was fully engaged 100% of the time it would be fine. Here is the problem, the throw out bearing went out, so I took what was left of it out so there is nothing there to kick it in or out of gear. My question is can it be run like that? Does the throw out bearing provide anything other than to kick it in and out of gear? The clutch is engaged now and I run it without the throw out bearing for about an hour with no problems. My concearn was that maybe that throw out bearing somehow supported the shaft but one end is connected to the drill rig and the other is riding in the pilot bearing so all should be well..Right?????
Thanks in advance for your opinions..
Brad Wadlow"

you can run that way but you w

you can run that way but you will end up eating the rest of the cluth up

"Marvin,
Thanks for your advi

"Marvin,
Thanks for your advice. My drill rig has two clutches. One right on the motor and the other on on the rig right behind it. The one on the rig is the only one that has to be shifted. The clutch on the motor is engaged all the time, (never taken out).. Its the one on the motor with the throw out bearing problem. I ran it today with no problems (except for my nerves haha) If the clutch is never shifted Marvin why would it wear the clutch faster than normal? I took out the throw out bearing and all the junk that went along with it. So now its just like a direct drive. I have always treated it like a direct drive anyway. I had never disengaged that clutch and now crossing my fingers that it dont decide to disengage by itself hahah..
Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond to my post!! I apprciate it a bunch!
Brad"

Back