Logo

Crusader 350 RPM Flutter

jbubello

My port engine 1996 350 Crusad

My port engine 1996 350 Crusader XL tachometer is fluttering +/- 200 rpms when the boat is up on plane at almost any rpm. There is no rhythm to the flutter but it is consistent. Last year the same flutter turned into a larger flutter that was followed by the engine only running at idle speeds. Both engines share both tanks and engine doesn't lack power - it will run at all rpms. Any ideas? Ignition?

"I don't really know. I d

"I don't really know. I don't seem to hear the engine speed changing and the boat seems to run smoothly. Possible ignition lead to the tach problem or maybe the tach ground is bad? Also - the engine synchronizer is smooth and doesn't jump. Maybe I should check the tach ground, but the tach doesn't jump at idle. So I'm a bit baffled. I going to check the boat out further tomorrow - just looking for that idea that I haven't thought of."

"You would certainly notice if

"You would certainly notice if your engine was jumping 200 RPMs. It sounds like a tach or tach signal problem. Check the wiring connections, if everything looks OK, try swapping tachs. This will tell you if the tach is the problem."

"If it isn't too much trou

"If it isn't too much trouble, switch tach and see what happens. My guess is the problem will follow the tach.

I have had a tach act up when an ignition condensor was failing, but this was with conventional an old style point and condensor ignition system."

Back