Logo

37 with 6 bent push rods

tattooed

"we have a 1986 wellcraft 192

"we have a 1986 wellcraft 192 american with a 3.7.the guy we bought it from said it needed a valve job. the bottom end is new or rebuilt. what would cause the push rods to bend. the timing,coolant in the cylinder something else. new .any info would be a great help.
thanks,
jeff"

usually a result of a big over

usually a result of a big over rev or perhaps just dodgy rocker adjustment

"Agreed on both of those, plus

"Agreed on both of those, plus sticking valves do to rust or a lack of oil changes. Collapsed lifters can do it as well, but 6 lifters don't collpase at once!

Jeff"

I'd put my money on rusted

I'd put my money on rusted / corroded valves. Why would the previous owner redo the bottom end (of which seldom fails on this motor) and not do the top end (which often fails on this motor)?

Rick

thanks for the input. not much

thanks for the input. not much compression either.he had it rebuilt a couple times with less than a hundred hours.would a new head help.do you think the bottom end is alright.

Does seem goofy to not redo th

Does seem goofy to not redo the top end too. The Mercruiser manual also gives specs on tightening rocker arms with the crankshaft in different positons in order to not bend them during installation. I've put several engines together without doing it and been ok - but they do have a procedure in their manual. Best thing you could do is use that 3.7 as an anchor!

"changed the push rods,lifters

"changed the push rods,lifters and a new manafold. runs great. found a crack in the manafold, do you think that was the cause of the bent push rods to begin with"

Back