Logo

Fuse or breaker protection Just information

R

reelfishin

"Whenever you add a piece of e

"Whenever you add a piece of equipment, bildge pump etc one should always put a inline fuse or run it through a breaker or a fuse on a panel. There are two types of fuses. A regular fast blowing fuse or a slow blow fuse. Most equipment will tell you what size fuse to install. Any type of motor should be put on a slow blow fuse if you are using fuses. The surge of current when it starts will blow a regular flast blow fuse. A slow blow will hold for a second or two to let that current come back down to normal running current.
I know the newer boats have breakers which are nice since they don't have to be replaced when they trip."

I am puzzled when I get commen

I am puzzled when I get comments like my small 27 foot cruiser burns the same amount of fuel like a 40 foot cruiser diesel ( fuel cost) I like to hear some comments from someone that had both diesel and gas engine experience. My boat is powered by two 4.3 ltr. engines 4 barrel carbs.I/O your comments are greatly appreciated.

"Peter, you should have starte

"Peter, you should have started a new thread so your question doesn't get lost.

You have to be careful when you compare gas vs diesel - you need to ask the "right" questions.

To answer your question simply - yes, diesel's generally burn less fuel than a comparable gas engine all else being equal. Does that mean you should repower with diesel to save fuel? That's a really big "MAYBE".

You can replace one of your 4.3's if you blow it with a "drop in" for 5-6k if you shop around - significantly less if you salvage parts from an existing one. Now cmpare that to say a Volvo D3 producing about the same horsepower that lists for a little over 16K.

The diesel may save you some gallons per hour, but do you run enough to burn the extra 10K per engine in equipment costs. You can burn 20,000 in gas before you are even close to dropping in a pair of diesels and just leaving the boat at the dock.

Secondly, while they are making a number of changes to the technology, a diesel doesn't like to be started taken out for a short run and then shut down again. They like to get up to operating temp and then run - for a long time. That makes them ideally suited to "offshore cruisers" that do long haul trips.

Now, I have only scratched the surface with a couple of issues/differences and you can get tons of opinions.

So yes, a diesel may push a particular rig along at 30 mph and burn 10 gallons per hour compared to 14 gph with a gas rig - difference (assuming gas/diesel same price, which they aren't) - you spend 8 bucks more an hour with the gas rig.

8 bucks an hour x 1250 hours before it's even a break even on the engine that costs 10K more than it's gas counter part. So how long does it take you to put 1250 hours on your boat? Some may do that in a year or two, others may take a lifetime...."

Hi Graham thanks for your quic

Hi Graham thanks for your quick response. You have reinforced what I have learned before.And cleared any doubts from my mind. You know how its like when talking to Mr know it all. My boat is 19 years old and there is only 1300hrs on the engines. so I agree 100% what you saying engine costs versus fuel costs. In my situation wouldn't make any sense. Thanks again

"Yes, I did alot of research,

"Yes, I did alot of research, asked ton's of questions, got opinions etc while working on a rebuild of a 24 foot walkaround. Did all the cost versus whatever you could think of when trying to determine how to power it.

Determined in the end that the "average" boater (gets out on weekends, maybe a couple weeks of holidays in the summer etc) is best off with either an outboard or gas sterndrive - "gas" is available everywhere, as is maintenance availability. Live aboards or serious crusiers a well suited to diesel inboards.

And while I agree that Volvo's pod drives and Merc's "Zeus" systems driven by a diesel as "super cool", they really are for the "Offshore" cruiser..."

Back