Logo

Camshaft Question

jonemouse

"i bought a 20 foot Dolphin wi

"i bought a 20 foot Dolphin with a 302 inboard/outboard...the motor was siezed, so i bought a 302 shortblock and changed the crankshaft, harmonic balancer, and flywheel so that they would be a matched set, and to solve certain pully alignment problems....and then i rebuilt the car motor installing new crank bearings, rod bearings, new piston rings. The heads were in great shape from the old marine motor, so i didnt have to do anything to them. The one thing that i did not change was the camshaft......i kept the car camshaft......and noticed that on the valve cover that the engine rotation is CCW.....do i have to replace the camshaft or will the car camshaft work??"

"the car cam will cause the mo

"the car cam will cause the motor to spin in regular direction, so this will cause problems for you, replace the cam with the propper one, also car cam shafts usually have higher top end and less low end torque which low end torque is what you need in a boat....Summit racing should be able to get you the cam you need, call their tech support and good luck getting through."

ccw stands for counter clockwi

ccw stands for counter clockwise rotation as viewed from the rear of the engine. your car engine will require and is supplied with the correct rotation. it will be the wrong grind for the the application but can be used in a pinch. all inboard outboards that I know of are ccw. as looked at from the front of the engine the belts will turn to the right. If you use the boat in salt or brackish water be sure to install a quality marine head gasket. They are a different composition than autos for better corrosion resistance.

"some 302 engines have a ccw r

"some 302 engines have a ccw rotation as well as a cw rotation, and mercruiser has used both. However the crank is the same in all of them even if the firing order is differant. the determining factor is the camshaft in all 3 applications. Double check the rotation before installing.

Jeremy"

Back