Logo

OMC Ford 351 Timing amp Firing Order

kenharrison

"I bought a used 1989 Bayliner

"I bought a used 1989 Bayliner and tuned up the OMC Ford 351. It runs, but when I try to adjust the timing, the 10 BTDC mark is far from the fixed post & the engine dies when I try to rotate the distributer to set the timing. The shop manual calls out a firing order of 13726548. I replaced my plug wires one at a time, but my order is 14863725. At TDC my rotor is point at the #1 plug wire. Could my firing order be different from a stock Ford 351? Would it even run when my firing order is so much different than the manual? Help! Boating season begins this weekend!"

"Ken, I don't know how th

"Ken, I don't know how things would have changed if you changed one wire at a time, but keep in mind that Ford distributors rotate counter-clockwise and that the cylinders are numbered down one side, then back upo the other. They are not even on one side, odd on the other like GM. I hope this helps you figure it out."

"Rick,
Can you tell me the po

"Rick,
Can you tell me the position of the #1 wire on the distributor cap. I'll try the 13726548 firing order. Ken"

"No, not off the top of my hea

"No, not off the top of my head, but with the timing mark on the crank lined up with the "O" mark on the timing cover, on the compression stroke, the rotor will point to the #1 terminal on the cap."

if you are standing at the dis

if you are standing at the dist end of the engine looking down on it my # one is at about the 700 position. That is were i set it at. I think that the one position could be anywere. cyl 1 to 4 is on the left and 5 to 8 is on the right with the lower numbers at the front (dist end).

I always seem to mix up a couple wire and when i do it gives back a nice 3 foot flame out the carb. I would think that you would notice if you have the wires mixed up.

from memory your order looks correct for my 78 351.

Back