Logo

350 Marine Power Engine Stalls at low rpm

grayd

"I have twin 350 Marine power

"I have twin 350 Marine power engines in my 31 foot Chris Craft. The port engine is new with less then 200 hours. The starboard has approx 2000 hours. The Starboard runs great, has plenty of power. The Port engine runs good at higher rpms, but seems to be down on power at lower rpm, and stalls frequently at idle, usually at the worst time, like in a marina, trying to slow manuver around other boats, fuel docks etc. Any help and advice...."

"Heres a list of what I have t

"Heres a list of what I have tried to date. Same thing, stall at idle in gear, but OK when tied to dock in gear, so its definitely a load issue while idling, slow manuvers tough.

Rebuilt Carb, new carb, switched gas tanks (to starboard tank), New fuel filters, new fuel pump, new coil, new dist cap, new resistor, checked plugs, checked timing 8 BTC at 800 rpm."

You might have damaged a spark

You might have damaged a spark plug wire when working on plugs or dist cap. Happens a lot whether old or brand new.

"I'll change the plug wire

"I'll change the plug wires and try that. What wiuld you suggest to be the right way to set timing, I have read several different processes."

"If you opt to go for new plug

"If you opt to go for new plug wires I suggest going the extra mile and getting top quality ( Accel, MSD, ect. ) high performance street legal set. Always take extreme care and thoughtfulness when handling spark plug wires pulling only on the terminal boot and NOT the wire. Most plug wire problems occure as a result of careless handling or poor/weak connection of the terminal to the wire."

"Had a similar problem with on

"Had a similar problem with one of my big-block Marine Power engines. Did all of the above, plugs, wires, fuel system etc.. it turned out to be one of the exhaust risers rusted through."

Back