Logo

Can I upgrade my stern drive

mike

Regular Contributor
I own a 1978 Starcraft boat w

I own a 1978 Starcraft boat with a 140 hp engine with an OMC stern drive attached. I don't trust this old stern drive with the electric shift and would like to know if I can get a newer style stern drive and mount it. I know they used that same chevy motor for quite a while after that. I know I'd probably have a problem with the transom hole fitting but there is no "push" on the transom like an outboard and I could probably make something to adapt it. Can anyone help me with this pipe dream?!

" Mike,

I have some experie

" Mike,

I have some experience with that sort of conversion. I would be happy to talk to you about it if you want to call me at: 860-767-7351 in Essex, CT.

Regards,
Gil Plumb "

" Mike,

I have 38 years exp

" Mike,

I have 38 years experience in doing what you want to do. Please call me and I should be able to help you with your situation.
My number in 1-800-949-2189

Thanks, Gene "

You will have to fill the tra

You will have to fill the transom hole-and with structural integrity as the Mercruiser drive DOES push on the transom as well as the inside engine mounts. You may consider just buying an older boat with the engine/drive package already installed and fix it up rather than starting from scratch with your present setup.
Tom

Back