Logo

Are the blur drains plugs all the same

elgineddie

Contributing Member
"Howdy team,
Are the blue dra

"Howdy team,
Are the blue drain plugs found on the bottom of the manifolds the same as the ones in the bottoms of the block? One of the ones in the block cracked off so I'll be buying a replacement set, but when I search online it seems they may possibly be the same. Just wanna confirm.

Thanks,
Eddie
1998 Mercruiser 305
193867.jpg
Plug

"Ayuh,....

They're All

"Ayuh,....

They're All the Same,+ should All be given a dockside Float Test.....

Get yourself the plain ole fashioned Brass Drain Plugs........
They work Great,+ Don't Break....."

"The big trick with the blue p

"The big trick with the blue plastic plugs is to tighten them up ever so gently. If you over-tighten them you crack the plastic right at the first thread, and poof, they are done.

Rod"

"Don't mean to hijack the

"Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how many of these blue plugs in a 4.3 v6? The reason I'm asking this question is because this is my first year ever winterizing, and of course I don't want to miss one and face a real bad consequence."

"I'm gonna leave the REAL

"I'm gonna leave the REAL answer up to the smart guys but my intelligent guess is 4. One each under the exhaust manifolds and one on each side of the lower engine block. Once you drain her all out, replace the plugs and basically fill the entire block with antifreeze. I do this even though mine sits in a 50 degree garage."

"Thanks Eddie,

Is it reall

"Thanks Eddie,

Is it really nescessary to fill it up with antifreeze cooling even though I have no closed loop cooling system? And if I have to then how do you go about filling it up? With a pump or some sort? my opology for many questions.."

"Sorry, I was referring to fre

"Sorry, I was referring to fresh water systems. I'm not certain what the procedure is on closed systems."

"Eddie,
You have answerred m

"Eddie,
You have answerred my question. Now how do you fill the system with antifreez? Just gravity!!!"

"Alex:

There are numerous p

"Alex:

There are numerous procedures to winterize the engine and OD. The procedure that I use is the following:

Warm the engine on muffs and pump fresh marine bearing grease into the gimble zerk fitting at the 3:00 O'clock position on the OD w/the engine running. Next, while holding the RPMs at 1200-1500 spray fogging oil thru the carb until the exhaust starts to smoke. Stop the engine.

Pump some lube in all the OD fittings and inside the engine compartment, lube the Coupler shaft and the power steering fittings.

Change the oil and filter while the HOT water drains from the engine. Remove the OD oil vent and drain plugs and drain the OD oil. Make sure the old drain plug gaskets are removed from the OD. Install new gaskets on each screw. Pump fresh OD oil via the bottom drain screw until it flows out of the vent hole and then install the vent screw and then drain screw.

Once you have the block and manifolds drained and drain plugs replaced remove the large hose from the T'stat hsg. Lower it to drain out any water. Using the pink or other marine pre-mix antifreeze pour a gallon into the hose while holding it up and secure it.

Then remove each hose from the T'stat hsg. to the manifolds and risers and pour 1/2 gallon of antifreeze into each and reattach. Lastly, remove the water inlet hose from the T'stat hsg. on the port side and pour in a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze and secure the hose. You're set. Store the OD in the down position."

"Thank you Guy, Jeff. My roo

"Thank you Guy, Jeff. My rookie confidence is going upp and up every time I visit here. Thank you all very much."

"Ayuh,.....

I like Guy'

"Ayuh,.....

I like Guy's winterization up to,..
"Using the pink or other marine pre-mix antifreeze pour a gallon into the hose while holding it up and secure it.

Then remove each hose from the T'stat hsg. to the manifolds and risers and pour 1/2 gallon of antifreeze into each and reattach. Lastly, remove the water inlet hose from the T'stat hsg. on the port side and pour in a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze and secure the hose."

Around here,... We store everything Dry,...
Because Air just does Not Freeze....."

Bondo:

I have heard of the

Bondo:

I have heard of the "DRY" storage method. I store my boat outdoors where temps. will drop to -40 F. I am afraid of any moisture left in a nook full of rust and scale in my '97 RWC block. How do you prep your engines for leftover moisture?

"[b]"How do you prep your

""How do you prep your engines for leftover moisture?"

Ayuh,.....

Leave the Brass drain plugs sitting on the intake manifold....

I pull the drainplugs from the manifolds(2), block(2),+ P/S cooler,...
Then I remove the Big Hose off the circulating pump....

At that point there's no where near enough Water left in My motor that can possibly cause Freeze Damage.....

Residual moisture is irrevelant,...
If water can't freeze,+ Push against something,...
It's powerless to do Damage...."

"I'm with Bondo.
I know t

"I'm with Bondo.
I know the Merc manuals suggest flushing with non-toxic anti-freeze; but I have only just thoroughly drained everything in 20+ years of boating.
So far, so good.

Rod"

"Perhaps I'll convert this

"Perhaps I'll convert this winter to the "DRY" storage method. Due to the slope of my drive I'll have to drain it before I leave the lake the last time to ensure it drains completely.
uhoh.gif
"

"Ayuh,....

There are always

"Ayuh,....

There are always Major Debates during the fall about it....

It comes down to being Mechanic enough to understand Where the water is,+ How to drain it out....

Which is Why I said to get the Brass Drain Plugs at the top of this thread.....
When you pull the Brass Drain Plugs,+ Ram a screw up into the cooling jacket,...
There's Awhole lot less chance of water being trapped in the motor...."

Thanks Bondo. I probe the dra

Thanks Bondo. I probe the drains w/a piece of heavy solder because it will flex and let me wiggle it around to loosen the rust/scale sediment until there is a strong water stream.

Back