Logo

Question about leg fins

hoseman

Contributing Member
Hello I have a 5.7 mer in a 20

Hello I have a 5.7 mer in a 20.5 run about. The boat could use a little help getting on plane.My question is do the fins really help?If so what brand is the right choice.I have seen aluminum and plastic I would think the aluminum would last and with stand more abuse. Anyhow I would appreciate your input. ty Darrin

Darrin:

A 4 blade 20P would

Darrin:

A 4 blade 20P would be great for getting on plane but you might lose some on the top end. What RPMs are you running at WOT?.

I run a 21P X 15.25" on a 19" Baretta w/4.3L 175 HP. I also have a 21P X 14.25" which does better on the top end. Both props have good hole shots but the 15.25" is slightly better out of the hole.

"For my money the fins, or &#3

"For my money the fins, or "whale tails", or whatever you want to call them, are a great improvement for a modest investment.
There are many to be had, they are cheap, and easy to install.
I have a set on a 20.5 ft Mirage and they definitely help get on plane quicker. Also they help the boat hold plane and speed at the low speeds needed for wakeboarding and knee boarding.

Rod"

"A set trims tabs will help to

"A set trims tabs will help too, probably more than the hydro foil. But the hydro foil will help some."

I was VERY skeptical and after

I was VERY skeptical and after much research I decided on the SE SPORT 300 for my 2.5L alpha 1. Impressive! Only about$65 with almost no loss of speed. So impressed I put it on my new boat (5.7L) and hole shot is awesome. Only caveat is the installation instructions have the thick bushings on the back holes... for better hole shot put the thick bushings on the front holes.
Ken

"Thanks again ,sounds like I w

"Thanks again ,sounds like I will be purchasing a fin in the near future.I am a little confused on the installation process that you a trying to explain Ken, but I sure I will get through it.Oh yea I run like 4600 wot almost forgot about you Guy Gaspar ."

Darrin:

Running at 4600 WOT

Darrin:

Running at 4600 WOT is pretty good. You could drop to a 20P 3 blade if need be. Try the whale tail or the 4 blade alum. 20P prop. You'll like either one.

Back