Logo

47L Alpha One in a 94 Rinker Captiva wonbt start Please help

greenstarfish03

"Hi,

I have a 1994 Rinker C

"Hi,

I have a 1994 Rinker Captiva w/ a Mercruiser 4.7L Alpha One 180HP engine. I used the boat last weekend and it ran great all weekend and when I was ready to pull the boat out of the water the engine wouldn't start and hasn't started since.

Maintenance:
New plugs last year
New oil filter this year
New fuel filter
New impeller and lower unit service

The engine has really low hours and is in emaculate shape.

When I turn the key the engine briefly starts for a second or so basicaly just at the point where I would stop turning the key and it stops smoothly.

I poured some gas down the carb thinking that maybe the fuel pump was bad, but that didn't help. I disconnected the fuel line going into the carb and turned the key and plenty of gas rushed out. So next I pulled a plug from the engine and placed it back in the wire, but not in the engine and grounded it and tried to start and I seen consistent spark. So I pulled off the wire form the coil at the distributor and laid it close to the cap and started it. I could see a good spark going from the coil wire to the distributor. So I'm guessing the fuel pump and the coil are ok and I'm out of ideas!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks"

Is your kill switch at the hel

Is your kill switch at the helm in the Run position? This is a classic problem that causes what you are describing.

Rod

"Thanks a million for your sug

"Thanks a million for your suggestion. The kill switch was the problem. I never mess w/ that at all, but the kids were jumping in and out of the boat all day that day and I'm sure one of them must have hit the switch. I never even thought to look at it. I apparently walked the boat across the bay to the dock b/c the kill switch was off. At least I didn't pay $90 at the repair shop for them to tell me the kill switch was on.

Thanks again."

"Ed;
Don't feel too bad.

"Ed;
Don't feel too bad.
I once spent half a day trying to figure out what was wrong with my 4.3 when it did exactly the same thing.

After coming up blank, I started to clean the boat whilst thinking about the problem, when lo and behold, I discovered that young fingers had hit my kill switch.

We live and we learn!
Rod"

Back