Logo

Top Dead Center

kevgrn114

So the book says to rotate the

So the book says to rotate the engine so that each cylinder is at TDC before installing the push rods and tightening the rocker arms.
My question is how to I get the engine to turn? The main pulley is basically covered up by the engine mount.
Any big secrets?

"Thats amazing! I was just at

"Thats amazing! I was just at Harbor Freight to get a torque wrench for reassembly and I saw a remote starter switch there. I was wondering what anyone would need that for!
lol.gif

Thank you much!"

"Try turning the nut on your a

"Try turning the nut on your alternator or water pump pulley. That usually works if the plugs are out.

Another tip: Mark your crank damper in 90 degree increments from the TDC mark with chalk. (How? Put a tape around it and measure the circumference and divide by 4. Hint: use millimeters) Then starting at TDC, do #1, then rotate 90 degrees CW and do #8, then #4, etc. Makes it easy and fast.

Your neighbors will be standing by watching in awe.

Rod"

"ok, I got it all back togethe

"ok, I got it all back together now.. it starts and runs good. I have a concern though. I put the cylinders to top dead center ( 1 and 4 are both tdc at the same time) I tightened the bolts until the pushrod stopped turning easily then went half a turn further.
I then rotated the engine till cyl 2 and 3 were TDC and repeated. I hit the starter a couple of time to watch them move and all seemed well. Then I noticed that in some positions the rocker arms were kind of loose and wobely then fine again in other positions. It wasnt enough for the rocker arm to turn sideways or anything just generally wobely.
FYI I am a notorious overtightener so it was very difficult for me to stick with the instructions I was given. I'm just looking for reassurance or remedy before I take it out on the water and mess someting up. :)"

"Kevin;
If you can't hear

"Kevin;
If you can't hear any valve clatter when idling, it is fine.
Are you sure you set the prelash with the cylinders at Tdc on the firing stroke?

Rod"

"kevin;
BTW, sorry I did not

"kevin;
BTW, sorry I did not realize in my earlier post you were working on a 4 banger. I assumed a V-8, which was wrong.

Rod"

"hmm, I did not set them each

"hmm, I did not set them each on the firing stroke, I just assumed TDC was just that. Didnt think about which valve may be open for the firing stroke. Do I need to make sure the rotor is on that particular cylinder when setting teh rocker arm bolts?
I hear a very small amount of clatter towards the #4 piston, but dont really know if its normal or not."

"Suggest you recheck at TDC on

"Suggest you recheck at TDC on firing stroke.
As you rotate the crank watch the rockers for #1.

One instance of TDC will occur just as the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is just starting to open. This is not where you want to set the lifters. Rotate one more full rev to TDC again. This will be TDC on firing stroke. This is where you want to be.

Then turn 180 deg and set your next cylinder, etc. You should not have valve clatter with hydraulic lifters.

Rod"

"Kevin
Just take the plugs ou

"Kevin
Just take the plugs out and when you want to do a cylinder stick a finger over the spark plug hole and turn the engine over. When it begins to pressure up put a finger on each rocker arm valve end. When they both feel equal with no movement, set the lifter. Or if the engine is running......loosen each adjusting nut until a clatter is heard, then slowly tighten just until the clatter disappears, then give it your 1/2 or 3/4 turn. It'll balk a bit on some but straighten out quickly as the lifter adjusts.
Bert"

"ok, I took off the valve cove

"ok, I took off the valve cover and ran the motor while adjusting the rocker arms, all of the clatter is gone and everything sounds good.
Thanks so much for everyones help on my first deep engine repair.
happy.gif
I was nervous!!!
This board is great!! It really makes it do-able to have an old boat and keep it running!!"

Back