Logo

SALT WATER USE ON MY ENGINE

ctroger24

"Hi, I currently have a 1985 S

"Hi, I currently have a 1985 Searay open bow boat. It has the Chev 5.0 engine and Mercruiser outdrive. I live here in Washington near the Puget Sound and would like to take it out there. It has never seen salt water in its 23 years. My engine is not fresh water cooled. How bad is this really for my engine to be sucking up salt water? If i go to Boaters World and buy the engine flush will that solve any issues I may have? Any brands reccomended? OR should I just avoid the salt water altogether? My other option is to sell this and buy a more versatile boat that I know I can take in both fresh and salt water. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks."

Well the problem with running

Well the problem with running it in salt water is that you will rust up your exaust manifolds quicker unless you either have aluminum EM's or you flush your system out everytime you take it out with fresh water to ensure the longevity of your EM's. A flusher is a definte must if you go in saltwater.

"I live in nova scotia 25-3 co

"I live in nova scotia 25-3 convincor gtx in salt water from may to oct, salt water cooled,8years no issues. You just need to flush and fill with antifreeze in fall and be sure anodes are in good conditon,nothing like the ocean."

You should consider putting on

You should consider putting on a full FWC kit. That will protect your engine and your exhaust manifolds from corrosion.
Cost about 1500 bucks installed.
Flushing after use is still highly recommended.
Put on a full anode kit if not already equipped; or consider the Mercathode system.

Rod

Anti-corrosion anodes that you

Anti-corrosion anodes that you bolt onto various parts of the outdrive. Check with your dealer.
Absolutely essential in salt water.
Mercathode is an impressed current anti-corrosion system. Highly recommended if you are going to leave your boat moored in salt water.

Rod

Chris - my open bow SeaRay is

Chris - my open bow SeaRay is the ONLY boat I have owned that will never see offshore time. But not from the worry of salt water. The shape of the hull is the reason!!!

My SeaRay gunwale actually slants downward forward of the windshield. Does your boat also have this shape? If so - beware!

I have taken on 30 gallons of water over the bow several times just on this inland lake from minor wakes of other boats. I would hate to think what the average ocean wave would do - probably sink me within minutes.

"Ya, the smaller Searays also

"Ya, the smaller Searays also don't have the optimal deadrise for off shore cruising. I've had mine a periscope depth a couple of times... it gets your attention!
Mine has a cuddy, so at least I didn't boat the water that came over the bow.

WRT to topic, you have to flush the engine, every time. Otherwise, plan on frequent costly repairs.
And keep the zincs on it."

Puget Sound isn't exactly

Puget Sound isn't exactly offshore. It's more like a big lake. There are lots of Searays and Bayliners that cruise here without problems. Just flush it out on the hose whenever you take it out of the salt or dump it in one of the lakes for a good run. A guy here at work just had a FWC sytem put on his Searay pretty much the same boat as you. I think it was around $400 at Auburn Marine. I'll check to make sure when I see him.

Addition:
He had his FWC system installed by CJ marine in Des Moines but it was a used system for $200 and labor was $400. But a new Orca System form B'ham will run around $1200. I guess if you're only doing saltwater part time I would just flush it out with fresh and not worry about it. If you plan on heavy salt use then it will be worth it in the end with the cost of replacing EMs more often.

Good point Chris! I just spent

Good point Chris! I just spent $300 replacing my rusted out drum brakes. I definitely hose them out good.

Back