Logo

Volvo engine choices

giterdone

Hi everyone. I just bought and

Hi everyone. I just bought and old project 1975 K$C in great shape except the engine is siezed due. What choices do I have for engines to bolt up to the 270 out drive. New to inboards so please have patience. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I should have elaborated

Sorry I should have elaborated a little more. It's an 18'K&C. Not sure exactly which motor it is except that's it's a 4 cylindar Volvo. All I could find for id is Volvo B20 with a 270 leg. Thanks again.

"Sounds like you might have an

"Sounds like you might have an AQ 130. There's a brass tag on the bellhousing just behind the starter. It should tell you exactly what it is. It would be good to move to a slightly newer motor IMHO.
You should be able to install any of the 2.1 liter motors (AQ140, AQ125, AQ120 etc.) or an AQ 131, 2.3 liter. I'm sure there are others that will fit the 270 but that's a good short list to start with. You can go to Volvo Penta's site and search "Out of Production Engines". You can see all kinds of info. to compare and contrast motors.
It will help you make your decision.
There are folks here who know a lot more about VPs than me. Hopefully they will jump in and add to what I've given you."

Thanks for the input Dennis. W

Thanks for the input Dennis. Went to one of the Marina/Boat repair places in town here yesterday to get some insight and basically what he told me is if I'm not prepared to spend 12000 grand to repower then I might as well take the boat to the dump because it's so old.Don't think I'm ready to do that yet. Got to be some other options available I would think.

"Frank,

Well, where do I st

"Frank,

Well, where do I start? First thing, many of the folks here have "older" boats and believe in the value of gaining and sharing knowledge concerning repair, restoration and maintanence of their boats.
There's a good feeling in moving from "not knowing much"--to knowing nearly every part and function of your boat. My project boat was a '79 Campion 17-1/2' hardtop with an AQ140 and 280. It's a different boat today and about ready for sea-trials. It CAN be done.
$12k for a repower? Well, it certainly is POSSIBLE to spend that much and more to totally repower a boat, however there are MANY other options for people who are on a budget. The dealer sounds like a guy who doesn't care about you at all.
Some dealers are arrogant or simply concerned with their profit or commission. Avoid people like that. We've got a local dealer with the same attitude and most of us locals do everything to avoid going through their door.

That said. Here's where I would start if I were you. Have a VERY thorough look at your boat itself. The hull, the transom, the stringers--there are threads on how to do this.
Do you like the overall design of the boat? If so, and the boat is sound or you are willing to make it so with a lot of elbow work and maybe a lot of fiberglass and epoxy work, THEN you can look at your motor options.
If the boat is sound I would consider repairing the motor you have to make things as simple as possible.
IF the boat is not sound and solid (i.e. rot in the transom, stringers, etc..) and you don't want to restore it, then consider cutting your losses and buy a solid used boat--for FAR less than 12K. There are a LOT of boats in your size range selling at bargain prices now.
There's your food for thought!"

"Frank, the above advice by De

"Frank, the above advice by Dennis is right on the mark. I was in a similar situation about 8 years ago when my Dad gave me our family boat which he bought brand new in 1972 and maintained very well. It needed re-powering however and so I started calling around to various places (machine shops, V/P dealers, etc.) to see what my options were. Most places did not want any part of my business when I told them how old the boat was. One V/P dealer though was interested and laid out my re-powering options, but just like Dennis said, he said that if the rest of the boat is in good shape (mine was) and you like the boat then repowering might be the best option, but if not, then putting your money towards a used one is probably best. I ended up having the dealer purchase a rebuilt AQ130C bobtail engine direct from V/P and installed it for me. It cost me about $3500 just for the engine and install, but by the time the dust had settled, I spent over $5000 because the dealer found some items (fuel line, u-joints, and general cooling system) that were in need of service or replacement. I had some bad luck with two of the engines we got, but the third engine was the charm and I have been enjoying the boat with nothing more than basic yearly maintenance ever since. In fact, the boat has never run better and it's now over 36 years old (knock on wood). Good luck."

"Some truths about boats:

"Some truths about boats:

1) BOAT is a acronym that means Bring Out Another Thousand.

2) When you think you get a great deal, you usually get what you paid for (on rare occasions you may get more, but more often than not you get less).

3) If you buy a boat that has a sound hull but a blown engine, be careful, or you will apply "truth #1" more often that you would like. If you are going to repower and the engine is not identical or attaches directly to your current bellhousing and exhasut pipe, you are usually better off getting a used whole package in good condition (engine, outdrive, transom shield, exhaust pipe, etc) from someone who for example has upgraded to outboard or to a new I/O.

If your AQ130 is toasted, you may want to ahve a look at the OHC 4-cylinder engines (AQ131 & AQ151 would be your best bets). They bolt directly in your current bellhousing, but you will need a different exhaust pipe to match the engine exhaust manifold."

"Thanks for all the advice guy

"Thanks for all the advice guys. I do like the boat itself and think it would serve me very well providing it was running well. As near as I can tell the hull, transom, etc are in decent shape. Believe me I looked at some that were'nt. I think I'll pull the head off when I get a chance just to see how bad it really is and whether or not it's worth a rebuild. If so it'll make for a good winter project. If not I'll look around and try to find a used motor either running or worthy of rebuilding. After all nothings impossible or out of reach with a little bit of ambition eh? Any other ideas come to mind please fill me in. Later.
wink.gif
"

Frank another thing you could

Frank another thing you could do is remove the spark plugs and put some transmission fluid in each cylinder and try to free it up . might just be the rings stuck . I have had a lot of luck doing that to engines that were siezed up .

"You're welcome Frank. You

"You're welcome Frank. You are on your way to a very intimate relationship with your boat!
biggrin.gif

"Remember, we're pulling for you. We're all in this together." Red Green"

Something I failed to mention

Something I failed to mention is that I did pull the starter off and the starter drive and inside and all around the flywheel was full of rust and corrosion. So I'm kind of guessing that it's a little more than just sticky piston rings. That's why of was kind of leaning more towards a replacement motor. What'dya think?

Back