Logo

Freeze plug

W

Wayne H

"I received a free boat, it ha

"I received a free boat, it has a 3.0 Mercruiser (1986) It was last run 2 years ago and I am tinkering around to see what needs to be done. Not sure it was properly winterized. Upon inspection of the block there appears to be a freeze plug missing. (It is about an inch in diameter.) Is this what it is? If so is it repairable if there is rust in there?"

"Wayne
Clean out the rust as

"Wayne
Clean out the rust as best you can. Then install another frost plug in the hole and stake it in place.
Don't spend a pile of cash on the unit until you check out the engine. May have a cracked block, head etc .
Bert"

"Thanks Bert, I am new at this

"Thanks Bert, I am new at this and am trying to do the right thing the first time. I appreciate the help. Should I use oil or water to clean it out? Also is this part of the cooling system?"

"Wayne
If it is a frost plug

"Wayne
If it is a frost plug it holds the water in the block when the engine is pumping water for cooling. If you purchase one or two get the brass ones they are for marine use. Just clean up the rim where the plug goes with a scraper or emery clothe. The plugs are a press fit, depending on which style you get.
Bert"

Locktite is also a good idea t

Locktite is also a good idea to help bond in place and seal the freeze plug.

kurt

Back