Logo

AQ145a Overheating

isisthree

"Hi, I could do with a bit of

"Hi, I could do with a bit of advice if anyone can help please.

I started my engines today after about 18 months, due to illness.

One started fine, the other appeared to have some steam from around the rubber connector which connects the exhaust mainfold to the drive leg. On closer inspection the steam was infact the rubber getting hot and starting to smoke & burn. The exhaust manifold was also very hot at this point

Salt water appears to be coming from the Jabsco pump O.K, but I don't know how much pressure I should have. I fired up the engine momentarily, without the heat exchanger cap on and it blew the plastic basket filter out of the housing along with an amount of water.

The impeller in the pump seems to O.K., although it is stuck on the keyway shaft.

The heat exchanger seems fairly clear although I would like to clean, just in case, if anyone has any idea what to clean it with?

The oil cooler is clear as I rodded this out before I laid the boat up 18 months ago.

Any advice would be most welcome as I have no idea where to look.

Regards

Nick Porter"

Sounds like you need a new exh

Sounds like you need a new exhaust manifold. Yours seems to be choked with rust/scale/mud. Chemical cleaning usually doesn't work on those manifolds.

"Hi El, nice to talk to you ag

"Hi El, nice to talk to you again.

Is there anyway I can check this without stripping it down.

Do you think I could remove the rubber gaiter and get an idea by looking up the small gap or this this a daft idea?"

"You can try removing the rubb

"You can try removing the rubber hose and having a look at the riser, then removing the coppr pipe underneat the exhaust manifold and trying to flush with a garden hose and see how much water comes through the riser. But if you see rust choking the riser, you will likely have to replace the manifold."

"Sounds like the problem I had

"Sounds like the problem I had Nicholas and it took a new exhaust manifold to solve the problem. They only live for so long and you can probably expect the other one to act up soon
sad.gif
."

Back