Logo

Gas consumption of mercruiser chevy 350 57 short block

jjdluz

Regular Contributor
"is anybody own or know gas co

"is anybody own or know gas consumption of mercruiser chevy 350 5.7 shot block?i am buying a boat with that motor on it,and like to know is save more gas then the motor i have on now,which is 1992 yamaha 200 outboard,it burn about 3 miles a gal gas,is 350 5.7 mercruiser burn less, how much less then 1992 yamaha 200 outboard,?thanks?"

Depends totally on the size an

Depends totally on the size and weight of your boat and how fast you want to go.
Best economy cruise with a 5.7 in a boat say 20 to 24 ft long would be about 3.5 mpg.

Boats are pigs on gas for the most part.

Rod

I usually cruise at 3000 rpm a

I usually cruise at 3000 rpm at 33 mph
at about 7 +- gal per hour = just over 4 mpg.
21 ft dynasty e211br with four people and a dog.
running a 21P stiletto (vented) 1.50 ratio od
5.7l merc with edelbrock intake and 750cfm marine carb. through oem exhaust.

Kurt

"'97 Searay, 22ft, 4000lbs

"'97 Searay, 22ft, 4000lbs fully loaded, 5.7L w/ 2bbl mercarb. Hear that sucking sound in the background?
I usually cruise at about 20-25 knots (3000-3250 rpm) and burn between 10 and 12 gallons per hour....2NM/gallon."

"Gees troy, thats a heavy hitt

"Gees troy, thats a heavy hitter!
believe mine is 3200 with 4 butts in boat.

kurt"

Troy;
Yikes; 2 NMPG!
At toda

Troy;
Yikes; 2 NMPG!
At todays gas prices you better keep your second job.
Funny thing though; that picture in your title block doesn't look much like a 22 ft Searay..........

Rod

"That's a picture of my ol

"That's a picture of my old boat. It actually got better milage.

The gas consuption in the Searay does sound like a lot, but usually I'm in the ocean or the Chesapeake Bay, so theres always waves/wind and anything else that can work against you. And Searays are definately heavy boats.
I've been wanting to get a more efficient rig for about a year now, my boat's been listed on ABL... can't imagine why nobody wants a older, heavy, gas hog of a slug that's been rigged for fishing and smells a little gamey too."

"Troy:

Change your ad to:

"Troy:

Change your ad to: FREE '97 Searay, 22ft, 5.7L w/2bbl mercarb. Ignition key and location $????"

"What are you blokes whineing

"What are you blokes whineing about fuel prices for, unleaded fuel in my part of the world is currently ranging around the $1-75 per litre.
I have 2 - 225litre tanks in my mobile weekend office.
I currently cannot afford to drive the old girl at any more than about 1400rpm or I have to have my bank manager folowing me.
sad.gif

Actually its not that bad, if I run at 1400rpm which translates to around 11 - 12knotts I consume around 20 litres per hour per engine depending on conditions, god help me if I open the throttles up though.

Me thinks I may have to build a Hydrogen generator and start running the old girl on sea water, rather that or by one of those boats with a big mast and sails on it.
crazy.gif

Cheers
Peter C"

Back