Logo

1987 PCM 351 cutting out at 3800 rpmbs

romans116

"Okay guys this one is driving

"Okay guys this one is driving me crazy. Runs great up to 3800 rpm's, then starts cutting out and will eventually shut down. Have replaced carb, fuel pump, fuel lines, distributor cap, ignition has been switched to pertronix, coil has been switched to pertronix. I am down to the distributor and it is expensive. Got any ideas? Thanks"

"Does it chug before it shuts

"Does it chug before it shuts down?... does the engine just cut out completely? or does it miss?... how does it cut out? When it cuts out, is the elctrical things still functioning or is that dead too?"

The electrical keeps working &

The electrical keeps working (the radio keeps playing). The engine starts cutting out as if the electrical was taken away from it. It did this with points/condensor as well as with the pertronix.

Check the fuel pickup in the t

Check the fuel pickup in the tank. These get clogged up ans starve the engine. Also any air leaks in the fuel line including the filter can cause the engine to starve.

"I have a 1986 Supra doing the

"I have a 1986 Supra doing the same thing. How do I get into the fuel pickup line in the tank? I took off the fuel pump this morning. I wanted to use the boat this weekend and didn't have time to order the Carter fuel pump (none of the auto parts stores have anything that will fit), so I took apart the fuel pump and cleaned it. It was full of all sorts of crud. I thought I fixed it. I took it back out, and it still stalls.

So, in summary, do you know how to get to the tank on a Supra. I've had most of the boat apart, but I have never seen the gas tank. Also, where is the fuel filter on the Pleasurecraft 351.

Thank you in advance,
Ian

Original posting below:

I saw your posting about your issues with your engine. I have a 351 Pleasurecraft in my supra, and it stalls on me after I go for about 10 seconds at anything greater than 2k rpm. It started out at 3K, but now it seems to be doing it at anything over 1500 RPM. It starts and idles fine....but it seems to be taking longer to restart between stalls, as if the fuel pump needs time to prime. I had an electrical issue that shorted everything out, so I just replaced the starter, alternator, solenoid, and I had the carburetor rebuilt. When does it all end? I was going to replace the fuel pump, but I wanted to get your input. It sounds like you know a lot and you did a lot of great troubleshooting. I never found out if the fuel pump replacement actually took care of your issue, but your issue is nearly identical to mine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance,"

"message to eees,
to answer

"message to eees,
to answer your question as to where your fuel filter is - you should have a fuel water filter in the engine compartment located near or under the alternator region, also have you replaced your inline carb filter (dont clean it-replace it)."

Back