Logo

135 horse power 30 litre alpha one 2005 bayliner

J

Jeff Parker

"Was using my boat all day no

"Was using my boat all day no problem. I was throttling back the engine when I heard what sounded like a screetching sound, sounded like metal on metal. Engine stopped and would not start. When I got home I tried to see if I could get the engine to at least turn over, nothing. Looks like the starter is working as when I turn the key you can hear it trying, but it just seems like the engine does not want to turn over. My gear oil reservoir was full at the beginning of the weekend and after this happened I check it again and it was empty. I let it sit for day and tried to turn the engine over again. It turned over but real slow. I'm getting a real sinking feeling that my problem is only going to be solved with some expensive repairs. No water in the engine oil or the gear oil.
If anybody has the magic answer to this it would be greatly appreaciated.

Thank You
Jeff"

"Jeff, pull the drain plug on

"Jeff, pull the drain plug on your OD and check for metal. Sounds like your top gear set seized, try removing the top cap on the OD and have a look inside."

""My gear oil reservoir wa

""My gear oil reservoir was full at the beginning of the weekend and after this happened I check it again and it was empty."

Indisputable evidence of what Jeff has said. Don't waste much money on repairing it when you can buy a NEW direct replacement aftermarket outdrive for about $1,300."

"To Jeff and Guy
bayliner 135

"To Jeff and Guy
bayliner 135 alpha one merc
Thank you for your responses they are greatly appreaciated.
New development though, tried to start my motor again this morning and it started. Ran it up to 3200 rpm in both forward and reverse. Everything seems to be running and sounding normal. Is it possible that the low gear oil allowed things to heat up just enough to cause things to get stuck temporarily??? I changed all the gear oil, let everything cool down and sit for two days and now it all seems to be running normal!!!

Not sure what to do as everything is sounding as it did before this happened.

Thank you"

""Is it possible that the

""Is it possible that the low gear oil allowed things to heat up just enough to cause things to get stuck temporarily??? I changed all the gear oil, let everything cool down and sit for two days and now it all seems to be running normal!!!"

...not likely.

Any metal in the oil?
Did you figure out why the oil reservior went empty?
For '05 it ought to have an alarm associated with low oil level in the reservior, why didn't that work?

I'd get to the bottom of all that before I took it on the water again."

"At the very least you should

"At the very least you should pull the drive top cover and inspect the upper gears. They are the first to go when lube oil runs low. If you continue to run it with bad upper gears, the particles will find their way to the lower gears, and they will be fritzed also. If it is only your upper gear case that is bad, you can buy an SEI upper for about 700 bucks, and reuse your lower.

There is no sense in kidding yourself that a seized up drive that prevented your engine from starting has somehow miraculously fixed itself. You need to get to the bottom of what happened.

Also, where is your gear lube oil going?
Do you see an oily film on the water when you park it? If so, you have a leaky seal and it needs to be isolated and fixed. It will only get worse.

Did you change your gear oil last, and if so, did you fill it the correct way, from bottom to top? If not, your upper gears would not have had sufficient lube oil, and they are likely shot. Sorry to be so direct.

Rod"

The OD and a 1/3 to 1/2 full o

The OD and a 1/3 to 1/2 full oil reservior should take about 2 qts. of oil. The screech was metal on metal w/o lube--like dry bearing(s)?
It may have burped a large air pocket and the oil filled the drive.

Pull the top cap as was suggested and carefully look at the gears for discoloration. If you see a tint if blue/purple on the gears it means they were cooked and lost their tempering. If the gear edges aren't clean cut then the pieces fell below.

Maybe it willl run a period of time if the drain magnet did not have metal fragments; check it again since you have run it.

Back