Logo

AQ225E Engine Timing

"I just threw in a Pertronix I

"I just threw in a Pertronix Ignition, and want to check the timing. I have done this plenty of times on many vehicles, but have questions pertaining to this engine.

#1 Per the sticker it says 8* BTDC, but is there any type of advance that I need to disable first? I assume not.

#2 When I attempted to set timing I also assumend that the mark on the balancer was the yellow sticker with the green line on it (whats left of it). However, when I went to set the timing, the sticker was nowhere close to in range. I have also seen a line engraved into the balancer. Is this what I should be going off of?

Thanks In Advance!!!"

"1) No.
2) The line e

"1) No.
2) The line engraved in the harmonic balancer indicates the TDC for #1 piston. Get a timing light with advance, set the advance at 8º BTDC on the light, install the pick-up coil in the lead for #1 spark plug, and the ignition timing will be correct when the strobe light indicates that the mark in the balancer is aligned with the pointer in the block when the engine is running at idle."

"El Pescador,

Thanks!! Mine

"El Pescador,

Thanks!! Mine acutally does not have a just a pointer, it has a metal "gauge" that shows a number of different settings, including the 8* BTDC. I assume that if my timing light is of the standard variety (which it is), I can use mine and line it up with the 8* mark on it correct?"

"You rule, El Pescador!!!<[img

"You rule, El Pescador!!!
proud.gif
"

Back