Logo

Seedometer and RPM gauge donbt work

botaman

Regular Contributor
"Folks ,

Just bought this

"Folks ,

Just bought this 02 Larson SEI witha V6, first time went to use the boat, all is ok except for speedometer and RPM gauge. How would you guys go about check this problem?
For the RPM gauge I did the switching between 4cyl, 6cyl setting behind the gauge but to no help.
For the speedometer, I don't notice any thing sticking out of the bottom of the boat at all, maybe this boat has never had a speedometer?

Thanks in advance for all your help."

How is the tach operating? If

How is the tach operating? If it is oscillating it's time to replace it. You can clean the gray wire on the neg. side of the coil first to see if it corrects it; doubt it will.

Speedometer has a pickup in the OD. Remove the tube from the back of the speedo. and blow some compressed air thru the tube; probably gunk in it.

"Thank you Guy Gaspar. I will

"Thank you Guy Gaspar. I will give it a try with your suggestions. And by the way, the RPM gauge is not oscillating at all it just sits at 500rpm no matter what the engine is doing."

"If it's a mercruiser, the

"If it's a mercruiser, the speedometer pickup is built into the drive. There's a small hole on the leading edge of the drive leg and it leads to a plastic connector that connects the speedo hose to the drive leg. When my speedometer stopped working my solution was as simple as sticking a saftey pin into that small hole to remove any trash that blocked water from passing through."

Thanks for the tip. I'll

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for a small hole on the leading edge of the drive leg. thanks again.

Back