Logo

Cold Start Issues with Mercruiser 57 liter

T

Tom Blinn

"1997 Mercrusier 5.7 liter eng

"1997 Mercrusier 5.7 liter engine with 350 hours. Just put a new carbuerator on it. It runs fine. But on the first start of the day, tough to get it to start. Takes two to three tries. And does not seem to matter if I give it throttle or not. When it starts, it then smokes and kicks out fuel from the exhaust until it comes up to temperature. So the stern gets black build up on it from the exhaust and there is residue left from the fuel on the boat at the water line as well. When I turn it on and off during day, it starts just fine. Quickly with no throttle needed. Is there an adjustment for this? Thanks much."

"Ayuh,....

It sounds like t

"Ayuh,....

It sounds like the Choke is Way out of adjustment...."

"Agreed, mixture at start is w

"Agreed, mixture at start is way too rich, which seems to be would be a closed choke...since you say excess fuel is being spewed from the exhaust.

Is this an electric choke? If so, when the engine is cold, click your key to the "on" position, and time how long it takes your choke to completely open.

You might need to loosen the three screws that hold the choke housing on and adjust it such that it opens more quickly. Also when cold, there should still be 1/8" of a gap between the plate and carb throat in order for a little air to get through."

"Is this a quadrajet carb?
If

"Is this a quadrajet carb?
If so check cap plugs on bottom of carb as they may be leaking fuel into intake over time witch is a common problem on quadrajet carbs. I use a
30 min + epoxy or jb weld, and havn't had any issues.

kurt"

Back