Logo

1999 Volvo Penta 74 Gi Cold Starting Problems

B

Bryan Yackel

"I've got a couple of thin

"I've got a couple of things going on here I could use some help with:

1.) I have 2 batteries, and my starting battery is one of those yellow OPTIMA high dollar batteries (just put it in this spring). When the boat has sat for a few weeks, and I try to cold start it off of this battery alone I get a horrible grinding noise. If I turn my battery selector switch to "BOTH", so I am also drawing off my deep cycle house battery the grinding noise goes away, and she'll start. I always turn my battery switch to "OFF" when I park it, so I am thinking I may have a small short somewhere that is draining my starting battery, and when I go to cold start using the starting battery exclusively it is not producing enough juice to fully engage the solenoid. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation? Once I run for a bit, and charge my starting battery I can isolate it, and it alone will do the job.

2.) Cold starting is proving to be very problematic. This last trip I actually had to run out of the harbor on my kicker, and start it out in the open water where I could engage the throttle as soon as she turned over. Sitting at the dock, and attempting to start her in Neutral she would fire, but then immediately die. Once I gave her some fuel (throttle) out in the open water she stumbled a little for a few seconds, but then began to run smoothly. I warmed her up at low idle, and when I opened her up a little she ran just fine. Did a whole day of boating and all subsequent "warm starts" were normal (started well). From my online research today it sounds like this could most likely be a bad (low pressure) fuel pump, or a stuck anti-syphon valve (not sure where that is). Can anyone provide me with any other possible sources of trouble? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

One other question:

Does anoyone know exactly how the "Cold Start Button" located at the throttle lever is to be worked when attempting to cold start? My last motor was a Honda 90 with a bar for the fast idle (Choke), so I am still learning the ropes with the Volvo.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out."

"Is the boat in the water or o

"Is the boat in the water or on dry land? I also have a start battery and a start/deep cycle for my electronics and a selector switch. The idiot mechanic that installed my new engine direct wired the automatic bilge pump to the start battery right at the battery. Hey, can't really blame him...it was the closest battery to the pump!!!"

"Is on dryland, but I had it p

"Is on dryland, but I had it pointed slightly downhill during the last 3 weeks of storage, and we got a lot of rain over that period, so there was water sitting in the bilge. You bring up a good point, and I will double check the wiring to see how the bilge is wired. Not sure if it is direct wired to a battery, or landed somewhere else. I know the bilge has auto, and manual modes I can control from a toggle in the cabin, so I have a feeling it is not direct wired."

Back