Logo

Turning Key Does Nothing

S

Scott Colter

"I recently took my boat out a

"I recently took my boat out and it went off a moderately sized wave and came down and hit the water, it was a bit of a bump but nothing that hasn't happened before. However, this particular time the engine sputtered then died, and when I turned the key to see if I could start it, nothing happened. And I mean nothing. All the electrical components work, (lights, radio, raise/lower trim).
Does anyone have any idea of what could have caused this?"

"What could have happened to t

"What could have happened to the starter during the bump that would have cuased it to become problamatic. And if it was the starter, does that explain the boat engine dying despite it still running?
Someone else suggested nuetral switch/killswitch. I dont know if those are the same thing, but I'm going to check that out as well."

Also check all the wiring arou

Also check all the wiring around the engine. Something may have been loose and finally came apart after the wave. And check the fuses around the main wiring harness on the motor.

Ron

"Thanks for the ideas. Im goin

"Thanks for the ideas. Im going to give the boat another look over tonight. I know I havn't supplied much in the way of details, but in general, does this problem sound like something that can be diy'ed, or is it something for the mechanics?"

"It could be anything in the a

"It could be anything in the above. You will have to trace the wiring to find the problem. There is a solenoid on my engine, a PCM 302 Ford, that feeds the starter. The heavy cable is the starter. You could jump past the solenoid to the heavy cable to the starter and bump the starter to eliminate that.

Next check the control wire on the Solenoid with a test light. when it is on the control wire does it light when you turn the key to start? If not then try to jump the solenoid with a wire from the positive on the battery to the control post on the solenoid.

I did have mine dead in the water one time and it turned out to be a loose connection on the wiring block under the dash.

I think it is easier to trace from the starter back to the ignition switch but either way will work. Just follow the path and don't jump around. It will save you time."

You can do it. You need a test

You can do it. You need a test light available from Harbor Freight for about $1.00. Or from an auto supply for 5 or 6 dollars. same thing.

Back