Logo

Tune up sequence

crabbie72

"I finally got my aq130c runni

"I finally got my aq130c running thanks to everyone for that.

I have points. I plan to switch to electronic.
What order should I do all of the tune up steps?

I rebuilt the carbs so they need to be adjusted, I have a uni-sync (and will empty out my cigar ashtray, a 3 lb coffee can).
I know I have to check the timing
and adjust the carb screws
Does it matter which order?
thanks,
Dave"

"If it's running now, get

"If it's running now, get rid of the points. Start up the engine and let it warm up. Get it warmed up enough to get your idle about right. Set your timing. The timing will change if the idle changes. Sync the carbs and adjust the mixture (good luck, i have none). Recheck idle RPM. Recheck timing. Have a cold drink. That's how I do it."

"Idle. As you bring the throt

"Idle. As you bring the throttle up, the advance of the timing will come up. If you are a couple hundred rpm off on your idle, your timing will be off. At 2000 rpm, your timing should be in the 25 deg BTDC area. that is if the timing advance parts are doing their job."

"I think your recommended idle

"I think your recommended idle speed is 850 rpm? and timing 6 degrees btdc? What ever they are, set the idle speed and twist the dizzy to obtain proper timing. Idle speed will probably change during this procedure so use throttle or idle screw to reset idle speed. Timing will now have changed a little so twist dizzy to proper btdc setting. Repeat as required to get idle speed AND timing where you want them. Works for me!

Tom"

Back