Logo

Fuel Consumption

handy

Hello All
I have a Tohatsu M

Hello All
I have a Tohatsu MB60 which is seriously heavy on petrol.I used to have an old evinrude 50 and this engine is using almost twice as much. I am a HGV mechanic but my experience of two stroke petrol engines is limited. Any tips would be greatly appreceated
Thanks
Tim.

"Fuel usage would be virtually

"Fuel usage would be virtually the same between the two engines. As to where the problem lies...Service manual, fuel system, check everything."

"Thanks Guru.
I am waiting on

"Thanks Guru.
I am waiting on a manual from a friend in U.K.
In the meantime any tips or hints on anything that might cause the problem would be great. I have stripped and cleaned the carbs, and yes I have replaced the rubber plugs on the jet. Was wondering what the compression should read.By the way the rev counter says that it is only going to 4100 rpm at WOT under load.

Thanks
Tim."

you need to drop atleast 2-5 i

you need to drop atleast 2-5 inches in pitch on your prop you should be reving 5500-5800 if you get it set up to rev right you should notice a big difference in fuel eccomony

"There is an issue of some kin

"There is an issue of some kind with the engine. Either horribly miss pitched, as Jerry 27 pointed out, or you are only running on two cylinders."

Thanks Guys.
I'll have an

Thanks Guys.
I'll have another go at it on Sat.Right now I feel like burning the thing.I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
Regards
Tim.

Back