Logo

Volvo Penta 131 running too hot

T

tom h

"It seems the freshwater syste

"It seems the freshwater system is not circulating. Could there be air in the system, and if so, how can I get the air out. Or how can I tell if the water pump is moving the fresh water around. The manual doesn't provide this information."

If the system is full it shoul

If the system is full it should self bleed when running.
The only real way to check the circulating pump is to remove it.

If i remove the pump how will

If i remove the pump how will i no if it is a good pump or if it is not working correctly. I really appreciate your help.

"I suggest you remove the tank

"I suggest you remove the tank cap and start the engine, then increase the RPM to about 2000-3000. If you see water movement inside the tank (the level going down when you race and up when the engine idles), then the circulation pump is working.

When you mention "too hot", keep in mind that those engines are supposed to run between 180ºF-198ºF.

The most common causes for overheating are a corroded/perforated raw water hose connector in the outdrive, a faulty impeller in the raw water pump, a clogged raw water strainer, and a clogged exhaust manifold."

"You need to look at the impel

"You need to look at the impeller side of the pump, ive had the impellers fall off before.
Make sure its firmly connected to the shaft and that the blades are all present and havent dissapeared. These pumps dont fail often but ive known of a few."

"please help. my aq131 is stil

"please help. my aq131 is still running to hot in the bay at high rpm. i removed and cleaned out the waffer type element in the heat exchanger. two years ago i replaced the exhaust manifold. i just installed a new water pump for the fresh water, i checked the impeller for the raw water it seems that it looks fine. on the trailer the impeller pulls water fine and it cycles through and out of the out drive even at high rpm. last year it was running cool and i also removed the termastate last year. my owners manual said there might be air in the fresh water system. when i remove the raditor cap there is a brown scum around the top like the fluid is stagnant."

Back