Logo

Tips on removing heavily rusted manifold

stevebar

"The saga continues. I had pr

"The saga continues. I had previously posted about cooling system basics (http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?12486/170769) and with help from the forum got to the next step of trying to get this engine running. The exhaust manifold was leaking and I knew that I'd encounter some rust and man-o-man did I. This is the first manifold I've ever tried to replace and it looks like it will be a real pain. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to approach getting the thing off. Some of the bolts look like they are completely covered with rust. (The third photo is probably the one with the least rust) At this point dynamite would be gratifying but is not an option...yet Thanks..
193319.jpg
Rust

"BB gm motor, right?
What you

"BB gm motor, right?
What you may have to do is break the manifold off in pieces and extract the portion of the bolt that is left in the head,"

"the boat dr. is correct. you

"the boat dr. is correct. you will have to break it off.
I have had a few of these before. you will need a BFH and a big ass bar. remove the riser( I see you have SS risers). smack the manifold around a bit with the hammer. then stick you big ass bar down the manifold from top and pry it off. I'm talking brutle, it will take more with the BFH and more wiggiling with the big ass bar.
I like to use an air hammer around the rusted bolt heads to kinda wake that area up. don't worry about the spk plugs , those will be your next chalenge.
It is Important to use the big ass bar inside the manifold (not inbetween the head and manifold) you don't want to break the head. I the big a$$ bar I use is about 6' long. you will have to get mean with the manifold. good luck.
Your other option is to remove the engine and torch the heads off the bolts..
We do not ever use a torch inside a boat, the boss is funny that way."

This sounds like its gonna be

This sounds like its gonna be more fun than a weekend tinkerer should be allowed to have. How many beers should I have standing by? Seriously though thanks for your suggestions. I was at a loss of how to tackle this one and its good to know that a BFH and big a$$ bar is a legit way to go.. ughhh

"I'd do a little chiseling

"I'd do a little chiseling on where the nuts and/or bolt heads used to be before I started any serious beating or prying. If you have one, a needle gun will knock the scale and rust off pretty quickly and you'll be able to see what's left that is still holding it on.

I'd also consider pulling the head and manifold off as an assembly and taking it to the vise for better access, might be able to grind the nuts off... like mentioned above, don't want to risk damage to the head in the process of beating.

Once it's off, you'll have to get the rest of the studs or bolts out of the head so the more material that is left the eaisier it will be to extract them. Otherwise, you'll be drilling and tapping."

Back