Logo

1996 Evinrude 99 smoking issues

kevlarwsu

"Hello all, just bought a nice

"Hello all, just bought a nice 9.9. Guy said it ran great a year ago. Stupid me i bought it and without seeing it run. Bought new gas, 50:1 mixture and it fired right up. However it smoked all over the place. A blueish smoke, not white. Seemed to run fine. Water pumped was working good and it shifted fine. Thoughts? Thanks"

I will try that JWB. I am hopi

I will try that JWB. I am hoping it's not a bad ring or something. My wife is already pissed i bought it so if i have to put more money in it might end up as my new anchor.

As jwbmarine says!

A broken

As jwbmarine says!

A broken ring won't cause it to smoke like it can with a 4 stroke with oil in a sump to burn.

It may have been fogged or had oil put in the cylinder and crankcase for storage (in fact it should have)

Do as recommended give it a good run to burn off the oil. Should only take a few minutes if that.

You are using a proper TC-W3 2 stroke outboard oil I hope!

"Doubt this guy put oil in the

"Doubt this guy put oil in the cylinder. It was sitting out back under his eve. Boy, not sure what type of oil i used. I will definately get some of this that you recommend. Thanks for your help. PS. Can you or jwbmarine tell me what the small knob is for at the end of the throttle? If you twist it it unscrews in about 1/2 inch. When it was running i unsrewed it and nothing happened. Thanks"

That's what i thought but

That's what i thought but nothing happened when i was twisting it both ways. Wonder if my carbs need a good cleaning and or new spark plugs. Thanks

That idle speed adjustment kno

That idle speed adjustment knob I think you'll find works by limiting how far you can close the throttle. If you just turn it anticlockwise nothing will happen BUT you should then find that you can turn the twist grip further to close the throttle. I think ... I should know ... its the same as mine i guess!

Yes get the right oil. If you have used car engine oil it will smoke!

On the subject of oil it would be a good idea to check/top-up/renew the oil in the lower unit. If its milky looking its got water in it so needs changing. The drain and level screws are identical slotted headed screws one at the bottom and one near the top of the gear case (If there is another screw near the lower one don't undo it or things will fall apart inside!) The unit is filled with oil by squeezing in from a squeezable bottle or with a pump through the bottom hole until it runs from the top one. Then you put the top screw in then you remove the pump or whatever and fit the bottom screw. You should use new nylon washers on the two screws. The oil is a grade 90 outboard gear oil but you can use a grade 90 car gear oil.

Don't worry about the carb unless you think there is a problem but keep an eye open for Joe Reeves instructions for adjusting it. As JWBMarine says if it aint broke dont fix it.

Check both plugs for sparks and if in doubt replace the plugs.

It would be a good idea if you told us the year or preferably the model number from the plate on the transom bracket then any advice can be tailored to your model if appropriate.

"A bit younger than my engine

"A bit younger than my engine then. Hopefully no major issues with such a youngster, I checked with my manual just to check which way increases and which way decreases the idle speed. Got it right clockwise should increase it counterclockwise decreases it.

Exploded diagrams HERE can be useful"

VicS
Thanks for directing me

VicS
Thanks for directing me to shop.evinrude.com. My problem was failure to electric start after engine had been removed for service. Still dont have wiring diagram or schematic for electric start so I can maybe find the problem. Where to look? Thank you. Don

Back