PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta78 HP Model Number

ray
09-16-2001, 04:27 PM
I have just purchased an old folkboat (1977 model) with a single cylinder diesel. The mechanic said it was either 7 or 8 horse power but did not know the model.The block is inclined to one side presumably to lower the overall height. I have not run the engine as I am told it is low on compression and over heating. The mechanic was able to start it using aerostart but I will remove it and overhaul it before I attempt to use it. Does anyone have an idea as to what model it is? I have crawled around looking for model/engine number info but access is very tight.

GLowell
09-19-2001, 07:57 AM
I have a single cylinder Volvo Penta MD1 listed as 7hp. They also made an MD1B. That is probably what you have. Tell me more about yours. Good luck and fair seas

ray
09-23-2001, 05:52 AM
" Glowell,
thanks for the reply. The only thing the surveyor could tell me was that it was not an MD1 as he was familiar with that model. I have since found out that the inclined block suggests I have an MD5.The good news is that I can still get a photo copied workshop manual from Volvo Australia. "