Logo

Volvo Penta78 HP Model Number

ray

I have just purchased an old

I have just purchased an old folkboat (1977 model) with a single cylinder diesel. The mechanic said it was either 7 or 8 horse power but did not know the model.The block is inclined to one side presumably to lower the overall height. I have not run the engine as I am told it is low on compression and over heating. The mechanic was able to start it using aerostart but I will remove it and overhaul it before I attempt to use it. Does anyone have an idea as to what model it is? I have crawled around looking for model/engine number info but access is very tight.

I have a single cylinder Volv

I have a single cylinder Volvo Penta MD1 listed as 7hp. They also made an MD1B. That is probably what you have. Tell me more about yours. Good luck and fair seas

" Glowell,
thanks for

" Glowell,
thanks for the reply. The only thing the surveyor could tell me was that it was not an MD1 as he was familiar with that model. I have since found out that the inclined block suggests I have an MD5.The good news is that I can still get a photo copied workshop manual from Volvo Australia. "

Back