Logo

Stainless prop

M

Mark Lewis

I have a 1983 AQ125A with a 27

I have a 1983 AQ125A with a 270 leg on a 19.5 foot bayliner capri open bow and am thinking I might be interested in a SS prop. With no prop shops in town I'll most likely be ordering something online and have a question(s)...I've seen reference to short hub and long hub on this site so that's the million dollar question...what are the parameters for short vs. long? My Seloc manual doesn't give me the info I'm looking for to make sure I order the right prop. I haven't removed my existing prop (15x17 LH) to count splines or anything like that. Also my current prop gets me 4500 to 4600 turns at WOT... would I get more turns with a stainless prop ie: could I go to a 19p without any issues? Thanx in advance for your help.

Try Ace Proppeller online grea

Try Ace Proppeller online great prices and good technical help I belive you would want a long hub for your outdrive!

"If you increase your pitch, y

"If you increase your pitch, you will lose rpms.....
I have almost the same set up as you, and I am running a 15x17 LH now. My original prop was a 15x21 LH, and it would barely get to 2000 rpms. It was a long hub. I switched to 15x17, and I can get up to well over 4800 if I choose.
I went to a short hub, because that was available at the local prop shop. They make a kit so you can install a short hub, if you originally have a long hub prop. Either one will work."

"Just jumping in here.i have u

"Just jumping in here.i have used a 15x17 gives me all the rpm I need AQ145A.(i have extra rpm if required) Am trying a 14x19 tomorrow to see the difference.What do the the gur's thing that i will achieve.Given the same conditions what do i expect, higher top speed????I am after high speed!What does anybody out there with a bit of experience on these matters expect for me to noice"

"Stan, when I changed from my

"Stan, when I changed from my 15x19 to my 15x17 according to my hand held GPS I gained about 200 RPMs or so and only lost 3 to 4 mph on the top end so maybe thats a rough idea for you...but thats what happened on my setup. Also I visited the Ace propeller site and wasn't able to find a SS prop for my application...only a composite that they claim is nearly as good as stainless but with easy blade replacement etc etc.I'm just trying to balance top end speed with enough pop to get a skiier out of the water a little easier bla bla bla cause the higher speeds are better for yanking the kids on a tube but still need enough oomph to get a skiier pulled up outta the water. The composites were very reasonably priced around 150 bucks but no SS to be found on that site."

Back