Logo

Distributor problems

kinghans

"I have twin inboard screw dri

"I have twin inboard screw driven 1976 mercruiser 233hp, 351 fords, just changed the points and cap and rotor in both engines. the starboard engine will not fire and trys to, but backfires, Are both engines turning in the same direction or would they be opposite of each other? Double checked the fire order and it is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Double checked the point gap, at .016 as specs call for. Am I correct that the starboard engine plug location on the cap would be the same as the port engine? Need some help here"

"Tim,

You need to answer yo

"Tim,

You need to answer your own question. "Are both engines turning in the same direction or would they be opposite of each other?"

Crank them over and see."

"a timing light will work duri

"a timing light will work during cranking just fine, but if I had a nickle for every Ford firing order thread....well... I'd have about a dollar....there's been 302's with 351 intakes and vice versa...the 302 and 351 had different firing orders if I recall the other threads content. So if you are getting the order off the intake casting...check what you have for sure"

Back