Logo

Water in oil

kd7asc

"I need to know the easiest wa

"I need to know the easiest way to get water out of my oil. I had an external crack in my ex. manifold at the end of last season so I removed it, drained the oil, put on a new oil filter, and winterized my boat thinking I would replace the manifold this spring. After putting the new manifold on it I noticed that I had water in my crankcase. We had an unusually bad winter of about six feet of snow. Snow broke my storage cover and I ended up with a lot of water in my boat. Turns out that some of it ended up in my crankcase. The engine has not run with the water in it and the filter is still dry. There are no signs of rust on the dipstick and the water did not enter through the carb. The top of the engine is clean. I really do not want to break down the engine for this. Is there anything I can run through the crankcase that will help move the water out?"

"Keith, I would drain it and r

"Keith, I would drain it and replace it with new oil, but add 1 litre of tranny fluid first then top it up with 25W40 marine oil. Run it for a bit the replace the oil and filter again. Do this until it is clean. It might take a few times.

Jeff"

If it has not been run the wat

If it has not been run the water should be on the bottom. It will drain out the oil drain plug.

Rod

"Thank you so much for your co

"Thank you so much for your comments. Here is what I ended up doing. I let the boat sit overnight and let it drip as much out of the crankcase as possible. The next day I ran eight quarts of oil straight through, two quarts at a time until I had clear oil running out (the boat has a marine oil drain kit on it so this was really easy). I then filled it full of oil and started it up. It ran like a champ and I do not have any creaming at all. The oil is totally clear. I will run it on the lake in two days and then pull the oil and filter out again. I think I lucked out."

Back