Logo

Clicking Noise in upper unit

K

Kenny Mueller

"I have a 1982 searay witha 26

"I have a 1982 searay witha 260hp mercruiser alpha I I believe. I hit a sand bar briefly bent prop. didn't notice anything unusual. ran boat for another half hour at cruising speed right when I pulled up to dock noise started coming from either upper or lower unit. Checked engine, runs great, good compression, oil pressure, but vibration noise can be heard much more clear out of water. Prop was chewed but not totally ruined (steel prop) it still goes in gear but noise wont go away. I can hear it at idle and when it is reved up it quickens and the noise becomes much more apparent. I can imagine the alignment could be off, but is there something that typically goes out when you run a bent prop for a while? I noticed the clicking noise before the sandbar (softer) and it was when the trim was all the way up, but when it was put down it was gone, now the sound is worse. Any thoughts? I would appreciate it."

"Ayuh,....

Check the Oil in

"Ayuh,....

Check the Oil in the outdrive,....
You'll probably find metal filings...."

more likely a chipped tooth th

more likely a chipped tooth that will lead to drive failure or lockup.tear it down and find it.
chewing up a stainless prop is the same as exploding a aluminum one.

"seeing you heard clicking noi

"seeing you heard clicking noise before I would suspect u joint failure.
"was when the trim was all the way up"
Did you run the motor with the drive too high?
22.5 inches should be the limit center of pivot to center of pivot of trim cyl. Never run above this as u joints will bind and fail.
"when you run a bent prop for a while?"
Why would you subject your drive to that violence? Yea, may have chunked a gear on impact.
time for teardown or replace unit.

Kurt"

Back