Logo

AQ130d Head torque

cuddy

"Well, got my new head gasket

"Well, got my new head gasket and now need to know head bolt torque?
Have searched here a lot, but can't find anything concise.
Dealer said 90 lbs
blush.gif
(off the top of his head)
Anyone know for sure what it is?
Thanks...bob"

"Bob, try 65 lbs x ft. This is

"Bob, try 65 lbs x ft. This is the torque that both Seloc and Clymer do recommend (one of them could be wrong, but both of them....I doubt it
biggrin.gif
)."

"Thanx... I just knew the serv

"Thanx... I just knew the service tech had it wrong. They want yer money first
uhoh.gif

Time to buy a manual so I can keep this boat a-float. With the price of petrol, I won't be buyin a gas guzzler."

"Cuddy
Just did a head gasket

"Cuddy
Just did a head gasket on my 130c. I just wanted to add that 65lbs is correct sort of. The brand I used was “elring” as it was many weeks out for the one that was marinized. The instructions for that brand were to torque in stages and sequence. They also recommend that we use new bolts (I did not). I did cleanup the bolts and the threads running a bolt up and down several times into the block. Cleaning the bolt after each cycle. I also used compressed air to remove any oil or junk that may have been in there. I made 2 studs for the head that were an inch longer than the bolts and slide the gasket down them. I then slide the head on. I then lightly lubed the bolts up with straight 30-weight oil. Here is the sequence for tightening the 10 bolts.
7 3 1 5 9
8 4 2 6 10
As you can see the center is tightened down first then move to the ends.
Here are torque increments from the gasket package.
40 Nm or 29.5 ft-lb
80 Nm or 59 ft-lb
90 Nm or 67 ft-lb
I used 30 – 60 – 65
Clear as mud?
The clymers manual says to re-torque after 50 hours. The procedure is to loosen each bolt ¾ of a turn then bring it back up to spec. I have also been told to not even do this, as gasket material may not be the same as for when the spec was written.
Now to be fair this procedure is for an automotive B20 gasket, it might be different when I get the gasket for the marine version. Bottom line is read the package that comes with the gasket for special instructions and follow as best you can.

GLG"

Back