Logo

Merc 43 l Sterndrive oil leak alpha 1 gen 2

sprintcar6

Hello i have removed my lower

Hello i have removed my lower unit from the upper part of the stern drive and im getting oil leaking from a hole in the upper shaft of my shift linkage where the lower linkage meets. It was not leaking from that hole till i seperated the units. Is this normal and it will stop leaking once i put the lower unit back in place?

"yes i drained the out drive,

"yes i drained the out drive, its coming from a hole in the collar that is around the upper shift linkage."

"yes it should stop leeking fr

"yes it should stop leeking from there try redoing the qasket on it that should stop all leeks if this does not help seek exspert advice
rain.gif
"

"I just split my Gen II drive

"I just split my Gen II drive the other day... I don't remeber any upper linkage....I did have to order the plastic housing where the shift shaft seal is....looks like some previous hacker broke it changing the seal and glued it back together...$22 part not sure why they did that. I also was able to pressure test both halves while separated. For the lower, I supplied 15 psi via a regulator and just covered the upper to lower lube port with my finger. For the upper I put a caplug that fit snug in the driveshaft lip seal and held it with 1 hand and then put another finger over the lube port again. I suggest pressure testing the upper that way while it's split. "

"Ok thanks for all the suggest

"Ok thanks for all the suggestions, but i think that there should be no gear fluid in that area of the upper shift shaft linkage, so i must have fluid escaping from some where to get into that part.

I will keep looking"

Back