Logo

New to me

botaman

Regular Contributor
"Hi everyone, this seems like

"Hi everyone, this seems like a nice site to hang. I just bought an 02 larson with 4.3 V6. Just started up today using earmufs. There seem to be some sound coming from the outdrive once the engine is in forward. What could this metal sound liked be? And how do I know if I have or have not the close loop water cool system? Thank you for your help"

"...some sound coming from

"...some sound coming from the outdrive once the engine is in forward"

SOUNDS LIKE WHAT? Can't be the gimbal bearing since it will make a continuous noise.

"how do I know if I have or have not the close loop water cool system?" Called Fresh Water Cooling or FWC.

Look for a large tubular tank on the front of the engine w/a radiator cap and a plastic overflow tank containing antifreeze.

"Thanks for the reply Guy Gasp

"Thanks for the reply Guy Gaspar. Ok, so I don't have closed loop cooling.

As for the sound, it's RPM related and sound like metal clanking, the faster the RMP the faster the sound frequency. I'm thinking maybe because it is not in the water the sound that I hear could be the backlash of gear?"

"Simple thing to do is remove

"Simple thing to do is remove prop and install different one to see if it stops noise.

Pull the cap on the top of the OD and inspect gears. If OK then drain the OD oil and check for small flecs and fragments of metal on drain screw magnet. If found then furthur investigation of OD is needed by disassembly.

If no metal found, pull the OD, check the U-joints, turn the gimbal (it's RPM related) bearing by hand and feel for bearing roughness, replace if unsure.

Clean and inspect the engine coupler for rounded splines and metal particals--if found then engine is out of alignment w/OD. A worn coupler will eventually fail but when? Replacement requires engine removal."

"It turned out to be normal.

"It turned out to be normal. Once the boat is in water no more noises, the water keeps the propeller shaft from moving back and forth and therefore no noise."

Back