Logo

Single contorl throttle only issues

searay123

Contributing Member
"I have 1986 single lever cont

"I have 1986 single lever control quick silver for my 1997 260 alpha one . When im in neutral i can not push the side button in to dis-engage to throttle only . Any sugestions ? Ever seen this before , Engine runs great yet can not rev it at all with out going foward or reverse . Wondering if its a beast to take apart ? has trim sensor intop of shifter ."

""...if its a beast to tak

""...if its a beast to take apart?"

The plastic push button (PB) should pop off and reveal a shaft. The PB needs to engage this shaft to set the throttle only. Spray some WD-40 into it and inside the cam/clutch assys.

It can be removed, cleaned w/brake clean and relubed w/a spray grease--containing teflon works best. Take copius notes, pictures and use a manual. There are 2 ball bearings used as detents; don't lose them. Use a large tray and magnetic parts dish. Be careful when reassy. If done wrong you will break the neutral safety switch. BTDT"

Not to bad to disassemble and

Not to bad to disassemble and clean and perhaps adjust a little and grease.... 'IF' you have decent access. Ease of access can very much relate to the way your particular boat is designed. My 1988 SeaRay is just starting to get that way and will be cleaned next off season. Previous boat needed this treatment when it was about 20 years old also.

Back