Logo

Do I have a faulty fuelpump

balikbayan

"Hi Everyone,
I have had prob

"Hi Everyone,
I have had problems with my Tohatsu 9.9 for a while. Lately it has run great when idling and not running at all when I rev it up a little with the gear in. It sounds like a fuel problem, but today it ran quite good when I reved it up too. When I took away the thermostat it ran even better. What is the thermostat doing in the cooling system? As far as I can see it only open up an extra cooling pipe through the cylinder head, am I right? I got much better flow of water from the engine too with the thermostat away from the engine. I do believe that it is time to change the impeller.
I had the carburettor away today and looked inside it if I could see if there where any dirt in there, but it was very clean and nice. I opened up the fuel pump too. The membrane seemed to have a very small "pocket" in the rear part of it. Should there be that kind of thing. It looked like it had became a little too big. I ran the engine for a while after I had mounted the carburettor and it ran good then too, but it felt like it was trying to die for me once or twice, but I pumped on the hand pump on the fuel hose about 5 times and then it ran great again.
Is the hand pump on the hose supposed to be hard when driving the engine or will it be soft? I have had outboard engines too long time to ask that, but I have not felt at the hand pump when driving the engine before.
Thank you for your time to read this thread and the answers I do hope you will give me."

Get a service manual. Pick one

Get a service manual. Pick one of the three engine systems and work your way through all of the possible problems with that system. It might take you 5 minutes to find the problem. It might take you 5 hours.

Thanx for the answer. I asked

Thanx for the answer. I asked the local Tohatsu dealer here in Sweden for the service manual. They don't sell it. It is only for Tohatsu dealers with workshop. I guess I have to buy from US via the internet. If there are anyone who sells and deliver to Sweden.

"We do, however, you can almos

"We do, however, you can almost cetrtainly find someone in the EU that can help you for less. We have a $50.00 surcharge for international part shipments."

Back