Logo

MERCRUISER 888 y pipe flapper

R

rob reminder

hello does a 1975 mercruiser 8

hello does a 1975 mercruiser 888 have an exhaust flapper in the y pipe? is there a shutter/flapper somewhere in the exhaust?

thanks. rob

"It does, it looks like #22 on

"It does, it looks like #22 on this diagram, I took both of mine out 200 hrs ago when I converted my one peice manifolds/risers to two peice on my 4.3, when I come to a stop I back off to about 1500 rpm until I'm off plane then to idle unless it's a emergency. I believe it all depends on how high above the waterline your elbows are, but I've had no problems without them

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2066225&ivar=IMAGES/CRUI SER/66225/22.png&inbr=1582&bnbr=90&bdesc=THERMOSTAT+HOUSING%2C+COVER+AND+EXHAUST +ELBOW"

"what year is your boat and is

"what year is your boat and is it an 888? does it have 180 degree, downturn risers?

when i dissasembled my boat for restoration it had no flappers and i did'nt put any in when i repowered it. i'm having backfiring problems with it now and i think it might be inhaling a bit of backspash through the y-pipe.

thanks for the reply, rob"

I have a 1998 4.3 and my motor

I have a 1998 4.3 and my motor locked on me when it dieseled and sucked up water into the pistons.The flapper valves were burnt out and missing. I replaced them last week and was told that they also help when you run the boat in reverse it keeps out water in the exhaust. Hope this helps.

Back