Logo

High Idle

phalen

"I have a 4.3L mercruiser. The

"I have a 4.3L mercruiser. The idle is currently at about 1400 RPMs. The manual says it should be about 650 RPMs. Last night on the lake I was poking around seeing if I could adjust the idle.

If I give it gas then move back to neutral the RPMs drop to about 1400. There's a lever to the right of the carburator, if I push on that the RPMs drop to about 700. Seems there is a little play in it.

If I want to adjust the idle can I use the adjustment screw on that throttle lever? I know absolutely nothing about engines and just want to make sure before adjusting anything.

Many thanks in advance for any advice."

""There's a lever to t

""There's a lever to the right of the carburator, if I push on that the RPMs drop to about 700. Seems there is a little play in it."

There is something wrong with the linkage or the throttle return spring. Something binding that is preventing the throttle from returning to its normal idle position. Bent throttle shaft?"

"I just got done fixing it. Th

"I just got done fixing it. The metal rod attached to the end of the cable was a bit loose. I tightened that, minor adjustment on the screw, and idle is right at about 650-700.

Thanks."

"Great Scott! (not a pun&#

"Great Scott! (not a pun) I like the simple fixes. What was most important was your accurate description of the problem; a BIG help. Enjoy the water.
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back