Logo

84 MC 470 Alpha 1R Problem

a1nowell

Contributing Member
"I have removed the stern driv

"I have removed the stern drive and replaced 1 bearing all seals, waterpump & all bellows.
I am having a problem with mating the S/D to the gimble housing. I can get the driveshaft into the flywheel and it seems the splines mesh. I can get the S/D up on to the the studs on the gimble housing, but I still need to go about 1" more. But it will not budge. Any suggestions?"

"unfortunately, I've had

"unfortunately, I've had to remove my outdrive way too many times. But thats part of owning an old boat.

Two suggestions come to mind off the top of my head:

1) SPLINE GREASE: Make sure those splines on the driveshaft are greased well with spline grease. The special spline grease is important, b/c other greases can deteriorate surrounding rubber parts, mainly the engine coupler which is an expensive part to replace.

2) ENGINE ALIGNMENT: It's possible the engine is out of alignment. The only way to check and/or fix the problem properly is with an engine alignment tool. You can find one HERE:
http://www.mercstuff.com/alignmenttool.htm

Adjustments for alignments are made from the front motor mount, as they raise or lower the angle of the engine slightly. When you've got it right, the tool should slide in smooth & easy without any interference. Your driveshaft should slide in just as easy as well.

I believe you have the same style front mount as I do. If so, there should be two large adjusting nuts, one to adjust and the other to serve as a locknut.

One last word: I should note that engine alignment is important. Misalignment can cause premature wear and failure of an engine coupler, or driveshaft splines. BOTH are not cheap to replace. I had an engine coupler fail on me 3 or 4 years ago when I first owned my boat. Happened on the 4th of July and had to get towed back in from my uncle. Those couplers run anywhere from $250-400 new, and require engine removal to service. Not fun.

Good luck!
-J"

Do you have the boat and the d

Do you have the boat and the drive in forward gear? The shift shaft in the drive and the actuator in the gimbal housing must match up for
the drive to go on.

"Jim,
Thanks for the info, it

"Jim,
Thanks for the info, it gives me direction and I try the grease and a broomstick for alingment. I am hoping I don't have to spring for the $85.00 "SHAFT," tool.

Henry,
Yes the lower unit is in foward gear and the actuator and the shift shaft are aligned.
Thanks,"

Local boat shop will usually l

Local boat shop will usually loan it to you for a deposit since they want your business.

Back