Logo

Diesel engine with mercruiser outdrive

"I am thinking of by the end o

"I am thinking of by the end of next year switching the I6 mercruiser motor I have in my boat with a GM diesel that was taken from a military hummer. I was told that the current outdrive would not hold up to the stress from this powerplant. Is this true? If so, where can I find a used outdrive that I could match up to it?"

"Just guessing here, but if yo

"Just guessing here, but if you have an I6 single
engine it must be a relatively small boat for
a diesel. How much does the diesel weigh conpared to the 6? The drive you have will not
hold up - too much torque at too low an RPM.
The only drive that may work is a Bravo One diesel-specific drive. And that would require
a new transom plate assembly-more weight. There are also flywheel and housing and ujoint spline
and engine hub and wiring and fuel considerations. The diesel probably requires a fuel return line to the fuel tank too - another
major modification probably requiring a custom built tank. And with the added weight the boat may sit so much lower in the water that inversion (water getting into the engine) could
occur."

"to henry s.
the boat is a 20

"to henry s.
the boat is a 20 foot tiara. It originally had a V8 in it. When I purchased the hull, I was toldthe V8 was seized, so I had them pull it, and I opted for an I6 because it was cheap and a little better on gas, but still large enough to push the boat at a good clip. These boats are for offshore cruising, so it could defineitely handle the weight. As to how it compared to the I6, I know that the 6cylinder is a 4.1 liter. The diesels come in I believe 5.7, 6.1, or 6.3. I would opt for the smallest available. As for modifications, I bought this boat as a hull with a rotten transom, and basically brought it back from the dead, so I don't have a problem with doing the work if it is possible to convert it."

"Ayuh,...

In tha case,...

"Ayuh,...

In tha case,...
Start looking for a Diesel specific Bravo outdrive,+ transom assembley...."

Back