Logo

Gimbel or U Joints

kenr07

So how do you diagnois this is

So how do you diagnois this is it the gimbel or the u joints?? When on plane the boat sounds fine when you turn ever so slightly you hear a loud vibration ... do you have to pull the lower unit for both i would assume you would and could a mechanical inclined person who never work on a boat do this or does it need to be a Boat mech ??

"Ken, you have to pull the OD

"Ken, you have to pull the OD off for both gimbel and u joints. If your mechanicaly inclined you can do it yourself.Place your shift level in forward, trim your OD fairly level, remove the six nuts on the back of the OD then pull. It might come out easy or it could give you some grief. Be careful it is pretty heavy. For the price, I would change both you joints and the gimble. While your that far you should check the bellows and shift cable. Before you take the OD off you should check the oil in it to make sure you don't have water in it, if you do you'll have to change the seals. Back to the u joints,if you've ever changed them on a vehicle it's the same. The gimbel is a little tricky. I tried to pull mine out with a slide hammer and it wouldn't come. So I took a flat washer that was just a bit bigger than the hole in the bearing and ground two sides flat to fit through the bearing on an angle. Used a threaded rod and a plate with a hole in the centre for the rod. It worked great. If your not sure what I mean, I could send you a picture. To put the new bearing in, I used a socket a hair smaller than the outside diameter of the bearing and an extension to pound on. Make sure you line up the grease hole in the bearing with the grease hole in the housing and make sure the bearing goes in straight, if not, take it out and try again. Good luck. Any more questions welcome."

Back