Logo

Mercruiser 260 Engine wont crank

jmateer

"My engine started to hesitate

"My engine started to hesitate and run really rough for no apparent reason when I began to idle while out on the water. After about 30 seconds it stalled out. It started up again and continued to run rough and stalled again after about 15 seconds. One last time it started and ran rough and finally stalled out after about 3 minutes. I tried to start it a dozen times after that and the engine would crank but not turn over. Finally the engine wouldn't crank at all and the starter would just make a loud click when I turned to key so I figured I drained my battery.

I pulled it out and noticed that my gimbal ring was snapped off where the trim cylinders attach to it and my hydraulic hoses were ripped to shreds. Long story short, I ended up having to pull the engine and installed an entire new gimbal housing, gimbal ring, and bell housing.

On completion I tried to troubleshoot the original problem. I charged the battery fully and still the starter only clicked when I turned the key. I ended up replacing the starter and solenoid but still got the same results. I pulled all of the plugs (which I should have done first) and found water in cylinder 1 and 7. So I'm not sure if it was in there since I pulled the boat out of the water, or maybe it got in there after I pulled the engine (because I only drained the manifolds ... stupid me). I'm no expert, I'm learning as I go.

Anyway, could anyone please tell me what I could possibly do to fix this problem? I'm assuming that my piston rings are rusted to the cylinder walls due to the water. I try to crank the engine with a breaker bar but it wont budge. I keep shooting oil into the spark plug holes but so far no luck. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!!!"

"I assume you drained the oil

"I assume you drained the oil and installed fresh oil and new filter. Was there much water in the oil? Leave the plugs out. Get a can of PB Blaster (it eats rust) and squirt a good amount, 3 sec. spray, into each cylinder and let it sit o'night. Try to rock it back-N-forth and then repeat the PB Blaster twice daily until it breaks loose."

"Yes, I replaced the oil and f

"Yes, I replaced the oil and filter even though it looked fine. The only place where water was visible was in cylinders 1 and 7. I'll try the PB Blaster and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!!!!"

After 2 weeks of spraying PB B

After 2 weeks of spraying PB Blaster and Marvel oil into the cylinders it still won't budge with a breaker bar or when I try to start it with the key(it still just clicks). I tested the starter and know that it is fine. I'm thinking I may have bent a piston rod due to running it while water was in 2 of the cylinders (not knowing it at the time).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next step should be other than pulling the engine to see if a rod is in fact bent? Is there something else that I can do or check before I have to do this?

Thanks for any answers.

I think you might as well step

I think you might as well step to the plate and pull the engine. If it is seized that badly there is nothing you are going to be able to do for it anyway short of a full teardown.
You better just hope that most of the major pieces like the crank and such are reusable.
Sorry to be so candid.

Rod

"No need to apologize for your

"No need to apologize for your candor, I appreciate your advice. I've been putting off what I was afraid to be the inevitable because I am still pretty green when it comes to engines. This should make for an interesting project."

I had some what the same thing

I had some what the same thing. My motor dieseled and ran backwards sucking water into the motor. Locked up motor but was lucky it did no damage. Drained water out of motor changed oil and it started. My exhaust flappers were burnt out in the exhaust that why water sucked up in motor. Don`t no if this helps or not thought I wood chime in.

"Not for nothing, but I recent

"Not for nothing, but I recently bought a 260 that would not turn over. tried everything you did. then i pulled the outdrive, and the motor was fine. the outdrive chewed up the gear set and locked up."

"I second what Matt said. Pul

"I second what Matt said. Pull teh outdrive and try to role the motor. Even if you Hydrolocked the motor and had a bent rod, it would still roll some in each direction. 6 bolts and a new gasket is all you have to loose in pulling the outdrive. If you had all those other issues with the gimbel it could be the outdrive."

Back