Logo

Johnson QD15 just got it running

P

paulnky

My first outboard motor. I go

My first outboard motor. I got it running but before I take it out on the water I want to get it reliable. I have been looking through the posts and I haven't found all I'm looking for.

I have never worked on one of these so I will get a manual.

What should be done to a motor with an unknown maintenance history?

Here is what I know I need so far.

New seals on the tank and connectors. New fuel line. I think the lower unit is leaking so new seals there. There's a good deal of black oil floating in the barrel. New water impeller.

Anything else that I should do?

Thanks for any input.

Paul

"Congrats, in case you didn&#3

"Congrats, in case you didn't know, you have a 1954 10HP.
The black oil floating in the barrel is likely unburned oil that has come out the exhaust. These old motors aren't overly efficient. That doesn't mean the lower seal is fine though. Drain the lower unit oil and see if it is milky. If it is nice clean looking oil you are probably ok. Change it anyways with SAE 90 outboard motor gear oil.
I'd also remove the flywheel and check the coils and points. The points shouldn't have any pits or arc marks on them, and the coils have to be free of cracks. Replace them as necessary (file and gap the points if they aren't bad). This isn't something I'd recommend doing yourself if you haven't done before, but also wouldn't recommend taking it to a professional shop to have done either. The cost would quickly pass the value of the motor. Hopefully you could find someone who knows what to do, or will be comfortable after thoroughly reading the service manual.
I'm sure there is other advice that I've overlooked, but hope this helps.
You have an excellent motor if you get it running properly. I used a 1955 Johnson 10 HP as my everyday runner for years. I've since "upgraded" to a 1958 10 HP. The old one is still around and going strong however."

Back