Logo

Flax packing size for stuffing boxes

doodah1

"I have a '63 Glastron Sab

"I have a '63 Glastron Saberflite inboard. The rudder and prop shaft stuffing boxes are in good shape. I need to know what size packing to use, and method for replacement. Rudder box is off, but would like to leave the shaft box in place. Both are 1" boxes.
Any help appreciated."

"Dennis. What I used on my &#3

"Dennis. What I used on my '63 Century stuffing box and rudder was 1/4" packing that I purchased from a local marina supply. I think it's a teflon based product that comes in several different sizes. If you saved any of your old packing I would bring it along to the marina or hardware store. There are sites on the net that also sell the stuff. It came in a 24" length so I wrapped some around the shaft, cut it to length so the bitter ends meet and tucked it around the shaft. I made three layers like this making sure that the "seams" where the ends meet are aligned oposite of each other. I then put the packing nut down and tightned it up pretty good. After a few runs I needed to tighten the nuts some more so the shafts just weap a little. Hope this helps."

"Cal, Thanks for the reply. Th

"Cal, Thanks for the reply. This is one of my restoration projects. Soo I've never replaced it before. I think I remember reading somewhere, that the packing size was relative to the shaft diameter.
But, obviously; I dunno!"

Back