Logo

AQ211A flooding problem

• Thread starter Stefano Valeretto
  • Start date
S

Stefano Valeretto

"I have a problem which I am n

"I have a problem which I am not able to solve. The motor is an AQ211A, with a 2-barrel Rochester carburetor. The motor runs great in any operating condition. Carburator has been rebuit last year and so the whole ignition system.

On cold starting, after it has been sitting for a week, it starts immediately as if it had been shut down only a few minutes earlier, but the problem is that, for some reason I cannot understand, it gets flooded after 5-10 seconds of running. To avoid this I have to cranckle it once or twice before operating the throttle lever and start it.
If the motor sits for a longer period (two or three weeks) this problem doesn’t arise because the bowl is probably empty and thus it is unavoidable to cranckle it a couple of times before having it started.
I think that the problem is due to the sudden flow of gas which enters the carburetor bowl with the float not already at the operating (closing) level. Since the gas flow rate at 1000 rpm (motor starting speed) is much higher than at 400 rpm (crancking speed) the float is not able to stop the gas flow on time, before flooding takes place. I don’t think that the needle valve is leaking because it is new and otherwise it is perfectly working.

As a matter of fact, if the motor sits for a shorter period (one or two days) the problem again doesn’t arise because the bowl is probably still full, as it never occurs either on hot starting.
I have already decreased the float drop in order to reduce the gas inlet area, but I am not sure to which extent I can push before starving the motor at WOT operating conditions. BTW, does anyone know the correct value of float settings for this motor? I have 15 mm for float level (which corresponds to float perfectly horizontal) and 30 mm for float drop.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Stefano."

Back