Logo

Milky Oil in 1983 Merc 228

ekf1204

"I have a couple of issues, no

"I have a couple of issues, not the least of which is some type of leak that resulted in my 1983 Sea Ray taking on a lot of water, covering over 1/2 engine and almost sinking the boat. The boat is moored and I'm guessing that the bilge pump kept up with the leak until the battery died, then over the next 12-18 hours it took on the water. After much bailing and getting the bilge pump going again, I was able to get the boat running and safely out of the water.

I checked the oil prior to starting the engine and it did not appear milky, but after running the engine, I checked again, and the oil is now milky. Is it likely that the water came in through the dip stick tube or is there likely another cause? Is the remedy as simple as changing the oil and filter?

Finally, the boat now seems to be very sluggish getting out of the hole, and was difficult to get on plane. Once on plane it seemed to run smoothly, but hey I don't know much about boats/engines. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric"

I think your boat is water log

I think your boat is water logged.The wood floors and foam are probably holding water and making the boat heavier than it used to be.That would explain the sluggish performance. I hope you found the cause of the leak
Chris

""Is the remedy as simple

""Is the remedy as simple as changing the oil and filter?"

Change them 2-3 times after running it at idle to warm the engine.

I agree w/the waterlogged foam and wood. You'll never get the water out of the floor or foam which contacts the floor.

Check the transom for water by drilling 1/4" holes near the bottom center and see if wet wood comes out. If it's wet it can be dried but it's a long process. If the wood shavings are dark then there is rot in the transom.

Only solution is to remove the floor and cut out the foam w/a sawzall and let it dry in the sun. Cut the foam into bread loaves and pry out w/a prybar. Scrape out the rest. Reseal all the dried wood w/CPES and replace the foam. Treat the new cut to fit floor w/CPES, install w/ SS screws and reglass over it w/20 oz. Fglass and epoxy."

Eric Fournier
First off drain

Eric Fournier
First off drain the oil. If there's water in the engine crankcase the crankshaft will be having a heeluva time crashing through it and will give you a sluggish engine.
Bert

"Thanks for the responses guys

"Thanks for the responses guys. Have changed the oil three times. Haven't figured out the leak yet, and as such haven't had it back in the water.

Perhaps a silly question, but how long would it take to waterlog the foam and wood. It wasn't sumberged for more than 4-5 hours in my best guestimation.

Thanks again.

Eric"

"It is open cell foam that has

"It is open cell foam that has been absorbing moisture since the day it was installed. Submerging it just helped it along. Take the ski storage frame off the floor and peel the carpet back a little. Now drill a 1/4" hole thru the floor until you hit foam; about 1/2" deep. If the wood shavings are wet, I bet the foam is also wet. If not, then just seal the hole and dry out the boat in the sun w/a big fan."

Back